The Rockingham County Sheriff's Office has established the Auxiliary Deputy Sheriff Unit to support the sheriff's office in both operational and administrative functions. With the assistance of the Auxiliary Deputy Sheriff Unit, the Sheriff's Office will be able to maximize the availability of its deputies to the community. The Auxiliary Deputy Sheriff Unit will be comprised of non-paid volunteer citizens from the City of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County.
Auxiliary Deputy Sheriffs will have a unique opportunity to participate in the working relationship between local law enforcement and the community. Auxiliary Deputy Sheriffs will assist law enforcement officers with their routine duties and special events throughout Harrisonburg and Rockingham County.
All applicants for the Auxiliary Deputy Sheriff Program must adhere to the same criteria as paid deputy sheriffs.
Each Auxiliary Deputy Sheriff must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be a resident of City of Harrisonburg or Rockingham County.
- If assigned to patrol operations, the candidate must be between the ages of 21 and 59 and may serve until the age of 62.
- If assigned to administrative functions, the candidate must be between the ages of 21 and 75. The age requirement may be waived only at the discretion of the Sheriff.
- Not be employed in a position that would present a conflict of interest.
- Not have a criminal record or history of drug abuse.
- Be able to successfully complete all required training.
- Be physically capable of performing the required tasks and duties of the deputy position assigned.
- Devote a minimum of 16 hours of service per month (192 hours of service a calender year).
- Have a valid Virginia driver's license.
Complete and submit an application. You may may download the application or call (540) 574-5009.
Completed applications must be returned to:
Attn: Sgt. Cindy Cull-Wright
Rockingham County Sheriff's Office
25 South Liberty Street
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Applicants who have submitted the above information will be notified of their eligibility status and continuation in the process to include the steps listed below:
-Review and approval from the Sheriff
If you would like additional information about the Auxiliary Deputy Sheriff Program, please contact Sergeant Cull-Wright at (540) 574-5009 or leave a voice mail message with your contact information at (540) 564-3800. We may also be contacted via e-mail at email@example.com.